March 2020 News
Extended Curriculum Updates
Friday, March 27, 2020
Indiana Academy Students:
The recent closure of Wagoner Hall due to the ongoing COVID-19 disruption created unprecedented challenges for students attempting to complete Extended Curriculum requirements. The Office of Residential and Student Affairs is making the following adjustments for students currently enrolled at the Academy:
- The Academy will not withhold the diploma of any eligible student in the Class of 2020 who is prevented from completing Extended Curriculum requirements by circumstances related to the hall closure and COVID-19.
Community Service and Academy Service
- All students currently enrolled at the Academy will receive credit for one semester of Academy and Community Service (12.5 hours of Community Service and 7.5 hours of Academy Service). The Academy expects that students receiving these hours will earn them by being good citizens and community members during these challenging times.
- Seniors who have completed extra Community Service hours above and beyond the required 50 may use those hours toward Academy Service Requirements.
- Seniors who have completed extra Academy Service hours above and beyond the required 30 may use those hours toward Community Service Requirements.
- The Office of Residential and Student Affairs will be flexible in our definitions of Academy Service and Community Service in light of current events.
- Staff and faculty will be working to identify and develop opportunities for service hours that can be completed virtually or asynchronously to help seniors complete any remaining hours needed for graduation.
- The SLC team is currently working to develop virtual/asynchronous programs and wellness opportunities. Over the next eight weeks, Academy students should expect to have more than 50 opportunities to earn wellness credits.
- Residential students are expected to continue earning wellness credits toward graduation requirements.
For a refresher on the Academy’s extended curriculum requirements, please visit academy.bsu.edu/handbook/handbook-7/#nonacademic. Reach out to your SLC if you need a reminder of your current totals.
Our goal is to ensure that every student in the Class of 2020 is able to complete graduation requirements. If additional flexibility is needed due to your individual situation, please reach out to Mr. Douglas or me.
Hope this finds all of you well!
Bridger L Fetters
Associate Director of Residential and Student Affairs