National Honor Society
The National Honor Society chapter of the Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics, and Humanities is a duly chartered and affiliated chapter of the prestigious national organization. Membership is open to those students who meet the required standards in four areas of evaluation: academics, service, leadership, and character. Students are selected for membership by majority vote of a five-member faculty council (appointed by the Director of Academic Affairs), which bestows the honor upon qualified students annually on behalf of the faculty of our school.
Selection Procedure 2022-2023
During the 2022-2023 school year only, our chapter will include a fall selection and spring selection.
Note: First-year Seniors may apply after completing one semester at the Academy.
All students must have:
- Completed a minimum of one semester at the Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics, and Humanities.
- At the time of the selection process, a GPA of 3.80 or better on a 4.33 scale.
- Completed 25 verifiable hours of community service.
- A clean academic record.
- A clean disciplinary record. This is defined as not having had any incident that required administrative attention.
- Adult Supervisor forms must be completed and submitted with the application.
- One form must be filled out by an IA Faculty member.
- One form must be filled out by another non-familial adult.
- One form must be filled out by a direct supervisor of your leadership or character activities.
- Optional – you may submit a maximum of five different forms from a direct supervisor of your leadership or character activities.
- A complete application (see the Candidate Information form) must be submitted to the Faculty Advisor’s mailbox.
- Chris Norton, Faculty Advisor
- A personal paragraph describing why you want to be in NHS and what you can bring to the program.
The completed application will be submitted to the Selection Faculty Council, which will evaluate the application and determine membership. A majority vote of the council is necessary for selection. Candidates are notified regarding selection or non-selection according to a predetermined schedule.
Following notification, an induction ceremony is held at the school to recognize all newly selected members. Once inducted, new members are required to maintain the same level of performance (or better) in all four of the criteria that informed their selection.