April 2020 News
Question of Possible Changes in Graduation Requirements
Friday, April 3, 2020
Dear students, parents and guardians,
A few questions have come in regarding possible changes in graduation requirements for seniors. Below is part of the information sent to schools from State Superintendent of Education, Dr. Jennifer McCormick. Please read the comments in red boxes on how each statement affects the Academy seniors of 2020.
Communication from Dr. McCormick
In accordance with Section 13.B. of Executive Order 20-05, the undersigned hereby adopt the attached policy document in order to provide flexibility with respect to Indiana’s graduation requirements to schools and students for the 2020 graduation cohort.
- Has met all of the course and credit requirements for the specific diploma designation based on a combination of high school credits earned prior to and the courses in which a student was enrolled as of March 19, 2020, when the Governor issued the statewide school closure order; and
- Meets any virtual or remote learning participation requirements established by the governing body of the local school corporation in response to the statewide school closure order issued by the Governor; and
- Meets any additional graduation requirements established by the governing body of the local school corporation pursuant to IC 20-32-4-1.5(3) prior to the school closure order issued by the Governor.
Graduation Examination & Graduation Pathways
In addition to the flexibility granted to determine whether a student has met the course and credit requirements for the Core 40 diploma, Core 40 with Academic Honors, or Core 40 with Technical Honors, the following requirements have been waived for students in the 2020 graduation cohort:
- The successful completion of the graduation examination as required in IC 20-32-4-1.5(1); or
- A graduation waiver pursuant to IC 20-32-4-4 for students who do not achieve a passing score on the graduation examination.
Academy seniors have already completed the necessary Graduation Examination exam or Graduation Pathways requirements.
In Summary – the waivers announced yesterday do not change the graduation requirements or expectations for the Academy Seniors of 2020. They must complete the e-learning classes and the Extended Curriculum requirements already in progress.
Please contact Dr. Jeff Smith at jsmith4 if you have questions.