May 2020 News

Academy Interim Executive Director

Thursday, May 21, 2020

An email went out earlier today from Dr. Kendra Lowery, Assistant Dean, announcing that Dr. Dain Kavars will be the Interim Executive Director, effective July 1, 2020, for the 2020-2021 academic year. Vickie Barton, who has been at the Academy since its beginning, is retiring on June 30.

Here is a brief message from Dr. Kavars:

Putting “Vickie Barton” and “retiring” in the same sentence is still hard for me to believe. There has never been an Indiana Academy without her! As I prepare to step into this position, I know I have some huge shoes to fill. I cannot overstate Vickie’s contributions to the Academy. On a personal level, I greatly valued her guidance and advice, and I am still having a hard time picturing the Academy without her walking the halls. She’s not leaving the Muncie area, so she knows that I expect her to make an appearance now and then!

Although I have met many of you, I have not had the opportunity to meet everyone, so let me provide a brief introduction. I started at the Academy in Fall 2006 as a full-time teacher, teaching physics and astronomy courses. I moved into my current role, Associate Director of Academic Affairs, in Fall 2015, no longer teaching physics, but continuing to teach astronomy. Each year seems like a dream, to be able to work at a school as wonderful as the Indiana Academy. Working with the amazing faculty and staff, and having the opportunity to work with gifted students every day is a dream come true.

I am very excited to move into this new role. COVID-19 brings many unknowns and challenges to the Academy in the coming year. At the same time, every new challenge is a new opportunity for the Academy. I know you likely have many questions. More information will come in the weeks ahead. I will be working very closely with Vickie, as well as our Superintendent and Assistant Dean, to transition and hit the ground running on July 1.

Dain Kavars
Associate Director of Academic Affairs
Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics, and Humanities

Dr. Lowery’s Message:

Dear Indiana Academy Community:

On behalf of the Indiana Academy Interim Executive Director Search Committee, I am pleased to announce that Dain Kavars has accepted our offer to serve as the Interim Executive Director for the 2020-2021 school year. He will start his role on July 1, 2020.

We are confident that Dain will be successful as he leads the Academy through a year of challenges due to COVID-19, while continuing to uphold the mission and further the goals of the Academy. Congratulations, Dain!

Kendra Lowery, PhD [she/her/hers]
Assistant Dean for School Engagement
Assistant Professor, Educational Leadership
Teachers College Room 1011
Ball State University | (765) 285-8618