July 2020 News
Indiana Academy Return to School Plan Updates
Thursday, July 30, 2020
Dear Indiana Academy Parents, Students, Faculty, and Staff,
The Indiana Academy and Ball State University care greatly about the well-being of all students, faculty, staff, and visitors. As we prepare to open the school, the safety of all in the Indiana Academy community is the guiding factor in our return-to-school plan. We are following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), Indiana Department of Education (IDOE), and Ball State University. All of the safety protocols in place are based on science, and many of the safety protocols in place exceed the minimum standards set by the CDC, AAP, and IDOE.
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020, Ball State University Facilities and Management officials completed a thorough walk-through of Burris, where all Indiana Academy classes are held. They did an in-depth review to determine the maximum student capacity in each room to follow all CDC recommended physical distancing guidelines. This review determined that most Indiana Academy classrooms will have a maximum of 12-14 students. We have one larger classroom that can hold 16 students and three other classrooms that will have maximum class sizes below 12 students. Reducing the maximum class size in all classrooms will ensure that every student can physically distance in all directions.
The Indiana Academy is also taking the following steps, in addition to the steps outlined in the previously released return to school plan.
- We have reduced the number of 8 AM classes to reduce foot traffic when the school day is starting for the Indiana Academy and Burris.
- All class times will be shifted by five minutes so that Burris classes and Indiana Academy classes are not transitioning at the same time. For example, a 10 AM Indiana Academy class will start at 9:55 AM and end five minutes early. This will reduce the number of students in the hallways at any given time.
- We have shifted some classes to the late afternoon and early evening to decrease traffic flow in Burris.
- Masks are required for all students and teachers in all classes, hallways, and common areas.
- Disinfectant sprays will be in every classroom, and table/desk surfaces will be cleaned before the start of each class.
- All faculty will have the option of a hybrid model for their classes. The details will vary by class, but some classes will be taught entirely in-person, with some classes having approximately one day per week shifted to a virtual environment.
- UV light cleaning devices will be used nightly in all classrooms.
- Online learning options are available to students. For more information, please see the appropriate contact person below.
- All students, faculty, and staff must complete a COVID-19 self-certification form before returning to campus. More information on completing this online form for students and parents will come out later today.
- Faculty and staff with health concerns may work with Ball State University Human Resources who will in turn work with the Indiana Academy on appropriate accommodations.
- Students and families with health concerns should contact the school nurse. All faculty and staff at the Indiana Academy will be trained on identifying COVID-19 symptoms and procedures to follow to minimize the risk of transmission.
We appreciate your patience in this continuously evolving situation. If you have questions, please contact:
- Academics and Online Learning Options – Jeff Smith, Director of Academic Affairs – jsmith4
- IEP and 504 Plans – Dain Kavars, Interim Executive Director – dwkavars
- Student Life – Paul Douglas, Director of Residential and Student Affairs – pcdouglas and Bridger Fetters, Associate Director of Residential and Student Affairs – blfetters
- Athletics – Chad Wlodarek, Athletic Director – crwlodarek
- Financial Aid and Billing – Cary Witter, Budget and Administrative Coordinator – carywitter
- Any other questions? Please contact Dain Kavas, Interim Executive Director – dwkavars
As a reminder, we also continue to post updates regarding our response to the COVID-19 pandemic on our website at academy.bsu.edu/covid19.
I hope you continue to have a safe and enjoyable summer, and we look forward to seeing you in August!
He/Him/His (What is This?)
Interim Executive Director
Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics, and Humanities
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306