March 2020 News

Updated Information from the Office of Mental Health and Support Services

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Academy Students,

In this ever-changing situation, I wanted to let you know how to access me for support and share some resources with you. I will be available Monday – Friday from 8-5 with a break for lunch. As of right now, I can be reached via phone at 765-285-5483 or email . As per our policy, please only use email to set up a time to talk and if it is an emergency you can also call 911. You do not need to have a scheduled time to talk with me; you can also call just like you would walk down to the office. If I do not answer, possibly because I am on another call, please leave a voicemail with how to best reach you. I will not be able to receive or send text messages. Calls will focus on addressing students’ immediate mental health needs, rather than addressing long-term ongoing problems.

I am working with Ball State to be able to provide tele-therapy so that I can also be available through WebEx for video conferencing. When I am able to do this I will communicate how that process will work, what information is needed from your parent/guardian if you are under 18, and any potential limits of confidentiality with not being face-to-face.

I am sure we are all facing challenges in some way right now and doing our best to adapt to change while processing new information along with managing many emotions. Please take time to honor how you are feeling and find ways to get support for what works best for you. We have also created a new webpage for Self-Care Resources where you will find a variety of resources that might be helpful to you now or in the future. Please save this email for future use even if you do not need any of this information at the present time.

Please let me know how we can continue to support you.

Thanks,

Mindy Wallpe, Ph.D., HSPP
Assistant Director of Mental Health and Support Services