Alumni Spotlight: Drew Ramsey, M.D. ’92
Drew Ramsey, M.D. is an assistant clinical professor of Psychiatry at Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons. His clinical work focuses on the treatment of depression and anxiety with a combination of psychotherapy, lifestyle modification, and psychopharmacology. His interests lie in using the modern psychological concepts and the latest brain science to help people live their healthiest, happiest lives.
Dr. Ramsey teaches and supervises Supportive Psychotherapy, Brief Dynamic Psychotherapy, and Psychiatric Evaluation for the Columbia University Adult Psychiatry Residency Program. He also serves as a thesis mentor for graduate students at the Columbia University Institute of Human Nutrition. From 2005 to 2008, he directed the Audubon Continuing Day Treatment Program, a bi-lingual service for the severely mentally ill located in the Washington Heights area of Manhattan; a program of New York State Psychiatric Institute/Columbia Psychiatry.
Regularly providing expert comment on psychiatry-related topics to the news media, he hopes to help bridge the gap between academic medicine and the public. He authored the Great Communicator column for Best Life magazine and has been interviewed by CBS News, The Wall Street Journal, Children’s Health, and Fitness. In 2008, he turned his attention to changes in the American food supply and how the diet of the country’s citizens influences their mental health. His first book, The Happiness Diet, written with Tyler Graham, was published by Rodale in 2011. Follow him on Twitter @DrewRamseyMD for updates on brain health, brain food, and psychiatry.
Dr. Ramsey is a diplomat of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. He completed his specialty training in adult psychiatry at Columbia University/New York State Psychiatric Institute, received an M.D. from Indiana University School of Medicine in 2000 and is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Earlham College. Drew is also a 1992 graduate of the Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics, and Humanities.
Education and Training:
- Undergraduate: Earlham College, B.A. Biology, Phi Beta Kappa, 1992-1996
- Medical School: Indiana University School of Medicine, M.D., 1996-2000
- Internship: New York Presbyterian Hospital, 2000-2001
- Residency: Columbia University/New York State Psychiatric Institute, 2001-2004
- Board Certifications: Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Clinical Treatment of Depression and Anxiety
- Nutrition and Mental Health
- Alternative and Complimentary Treatments of Mood Disorders
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- Food for Thought: Power-Foods for Your Brain (ABC News segment featuring Drew)
- Drew Ramsey’s website